Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Did Obama Speak With Blagojevich About His Senate Seat?

I don’t think Obama was directly involved in any improper way with Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich’s attempt to sell Obama’s Senate seat. But Team Obama isn’t making life easy for themselves in helping establish Obama’s alibi.

Let’s use Jake Tapper’s report for the quotes…

David Axelrod on November 23:

While insisting that the President-elect had not expressed a favorite to replace him, and his inclination was to avoid being a "kingmaker," Axelrod said, "I know he's talked to the governor and there are a whole range of names many of which have surfaced, and I think he has a fondness for a lot of them."

Obama yesterday:

“I had no contact with the governor or his office, and so we were not — I was not aware of what was happening.”

Prompting the necessary Axelrod follow up later:

“I was mistaken when I told an interviewer last month that the President-elect has spoken directly to Governor Blagojevich about the Senate vacancy. They did not then or at any time discuss the subject.”

Well. We all know what’s coming next, don’t we? Because this leaves us with one more statement to come, does it not?

OBAMA: “I did not have oral relations with that man, Mr. Blagojevich.”

1 comment:

  1. That was an amusing suggestion about Emmanuel resigning from the House so he could be appointed to the Senate.

    ReplyDelete