Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Postmortem

I don't think I've ever seen such a look of misery and dejection on the face of my daughter as I just did when Fox News called Ohio for Obama. She just couldn't understand why the voters would elect someone like Obama, when so many things are wrong in this country. "Don’t voters care about our country anymore?" she asked pitifully.

I sat down with her on the sofa and (as calmly as I could) tried to explain to her why the voters seem to be abandoning the principles on which our country was founded. "Honey, I am afraid that we have come to the point in our nation’s history when a majority of her people has become fat, lazy and stupid…exploited by the Democrats out to gain power and enrich themselves as the country rots from within.”

I tried to keep my voice steady, but it became increasingly difficult - the rage and feelings of helplessness were just too much. I think my daughter could tell something was wrong. I found myself at such a loss for words - nothing made any sense; nothing makes sense anymore. I finally had to admit, "Honey, I just don't know - I don't know what's going on in this country anymore..."

When I finished her lower lip started to tremble and her eyes began to fill with tears, "Daddy" she said, "why are the Democrats doing this to the country?" Well, that was it for me: I finally fell apart. She just fell into my arms and we both began sobbing for several minutes.

For once she had to comfort me and get me back on my feet. Sometimes I just think it's too much, but seeing the strength in my young daughter's voice helped me to get through.




TOO CUTE BY HALF (update 11/07): Well, perhaps CheChe isn’t as well known or widely remembered as I had thought. For those who may not remember, let’s point to some reminders of the mini-celebrity from 2006.

Back then CheChe was parodying the left’s reaction to political setback. But it wasn’t clear at first that it was the work of a parodist. Because it rang true. Because people on both the left and the right knew that such a reaction was in line with what one could expect from the blogospheric left.

I hope no one thought that I so completely fell to pieces that I was relying on my five year old daughter for strength because I couldn’t hold it together. That’s not me, and I hope no one believes that is a reaction that rings true of the larger blogospheric right. It certainly does not in the places I traverse.

My post, which may have been too oblique for its own good, is intended in the same spirit as Jim Treacher’s:

IF YOU'RE STILL FEELING DOWN IN THE DUMPS, CONSOLE YOURSELF WITH THIS:

You're not them.

(Thanks to Jim who reminded me that not everybody may remember CheChe)

We get defeated and it hurts. I didn't necessarily shed a tear, but I definitely got that "punch in the gut" feeling. But the pain doesn’t debilitate us, it motivates us. We do not rely upon the strength of children to help us keep it together, even if we do look to them for inspiration in our efforts, hoping to pass on to them a nation that is strong and prosperous and free.

We get up, get to work, and – since I committed a Biden in this post by seemingly attributing the words of another to myself, I will use him too in this point – we gird our loins for the inevitable battles that the results of this election ensure that we will face.

Our strength is not diminished even when our political power has been. Let’s get to work.

3 comments:

  1. My older son was one of three kids out of 20 in his second-grade class to vote for McCain. I've answered his questions over and over again throughout the long campaign.

    (I think seeing McCain on an episode of Dogfights clinched it for him--he likes fighter* pilots.)

    Anyway, he woke up and sat down with us while they called CA and the race for Obama.

    He was upset and angered. How could this happen? How could his Dad have advocated for someone who lost?

    We explained the civic lesson in your last post. The people have spoken. They may have made the wrong decision, but that is no longer at issue. Among the things that make America worth fighting for is that we play by the rules and accept the results.

    I figure we've got at least two months wherein we can believe that Obama will end abortions as we know them, lower our taxes and encourage small businesses, bring God back into government, and end racial strife. Until January, we can take him at his word that the Democratic majority in Congress is irrelevant--he won't take action unless Republicans agree. No matter what Ms. Pelosi and Mr. Reid say to him.

    I, too, have a dream.

    ---------
    *Yeah, I know. It's an attack plane, not a fighter. He likes attack pilots too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez, Walter, I hope you don't smoke that stuff around the kid. The dream part - not your excellent comment on the civics lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remembered, Hit. I really remembered.Plus I know Princess H & R is way too smart for this.

    ReplyDelete