Thursday, March 25, 2010

An Insatiable Appetite for Pie

Remember when Michelle Obama said this?

Most Americans, she said, don't want much.

"They don't want the whole pie," she told the women. "There are some who do, but most Americans feel blessed just being able to thrive a little bit. But that is becoming even more out of reach."...

"The truth is, in order to get things like universal health care … then someone is going to have to give up a piece of their pie so that someone else can have more."

Now that ObamaCare has passed, should we be worried about our pie? I mean, hey, according to Michelle, it’s just a piece we'd be giving up, right?

Uh huh, the government looks at pie much like I do.

I love pumpkin pie. My mom’s pumpkin pie. Everyone in the family knows how much I love my mom’s pumpkin pie.

Years ago, as the holiday season was coming to a close, and most of the leftovers were being finished, frozen or thrown out, I headed to the fridge to get some pumpkin pie. My mom, who it should be noted also loves pumpkin pie, asked me from across the kitchen – “Is there any pumpkin pie left?” To which I replied, “Well, there’s only one piece left.” Being the saint that she is, my mom graciously allowed that I could have the last piece.

I took the pie pan out of the fridge, set it on the counter to get a plate out of the cabinet, and my dad walked by.

“One piece?” he exclaimed.


“That’s half the pie!” he said, incredulously.

“Of course,” I responded as I lifted half of a pumpkin pie out of the pan and onto my plate. “That’s the size of one of my pieces of pie.”

We all laughed.

Except for Mom.

I was a teenager at the time. My dad worked hard to make the money that my mom used to go to the store to buy the ingredients she used during hours of preparing and baking the pumpkin pies.

All I had to do was roll out of bed, head to the fridge and take my piece of the pie.

Now, just like Michelle told us, with ObamaCare having been signed into law, the government is coming for a piece of your pie which you have worked hard to earn and make.

The government’s love of pie is as great as mine.

And its appetite insatiable.

No comments:

Post a Comment