Wednesday, July 30, 2008

No footprints left behind

Jennifer Rubin at Contentions writes:

...if you weren’t surprised that Barack Obama got through his stint as head of Harvard’s Law Review without writing anything, weren’t surprised that he didn’t accomplish much as a community organizer and know he has no legislative achievement from his brief tenure in the Senate, you won’t be shocked to learn that he left no footprints as a lecturer at University of Chicago’s Law School. [...]

Why this recurrent pattern of non-achievement and invisibility? ... if you take a position you are likely not to please everyone. ... Once you voice a view, people will disagree. You won’t be a uniter and you won’t be universally loved. And finally, if you put out your views, whether in writing or verbally, you will be subject to scrutiny. People may find your logic wanting or your ideas outmoded. And then (and years later) you will be held to account for the positions you took.

So it should hardly come as a surprise that Obama has left no trail.


Footprints

One night I dreamed I was walking
along the beach with Obama.
Many scenes from my life
flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed
footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were
two sets of footprints,
other times there were
one set of footprints.

This bothered me because
I noticed that during the most
challenging periods of my life,
when I was speaking truth to power,
trying to break down walls,
and was being held down by the man,
I could see only one set of footprints.

So I said to Obama,
"You promised me Obama,
that if I followed you,
you would strengthen me with hope
and lift me up with change.
But I have noticed that during
the most trying periods of my life
there have only been
one set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most,
have you not been there for me?"

Then Obama replied,
"The times when you have seen
only one set of footprints in the sand,
is when I thought getting involved
might have compromised
my aspirations for higher office."


2 comments:

  1. THE SMEAR: An anonymous individual misleads America about Barack Obama, saying he ducked difficult issues.

    THE TRUTH: The anonymous individual admits following Obama. Close inspection of the beach shows that Barack led the way and this individual quite literally walked in the footprints he had left.

    ReplyDelete