Saturday, July 26, 2008

We support Obama!

In a temporary fit of post-partisan hope and change, we rise to defend Obama on two counts.

First, someone taking the written prayer that Obama left at the Western Wall and someone publishing it is indescribably offensive.

We'll let The Anchoress speak for us here:

I’m kind of appalled that anyone took his prayer out of that wall, more appalled that it was made public, and incredibly appalled that some a faith-based site is “fisking” the prayer while a few bloggers (and forum commenters) are daring to mock it or to judge its content as being insufficient because it does not mention his country, or Israel.

To which I have to reply - to anyone enjoying or exploiting the theft of this prayer, or judging it: “screw that. You don’t get to decide on or judge another’s prayer.”

If that seems uncharacteristically harsh, well…I never said I was a saint. In fact, it is precisely because I am no saint that I am so offended by the idea of anyone glomming on to someone else’s prayer - particularly for the very basest of reasons: to make political hay of it.

Amen.

Second, Obama was speaking with British Tory Leader David Cameron, apparently unaware a mic was picking up their conversation:

"Do you have a break at all?" asked Cameron.

"I have not," said Obama. "I am going to take a week in August. But I agree with you that somebody, somebody who had worked in the White House who -- not Clinton himself, but somebody who had been close to the process -- said that, should we be successful, that actually the most important thing you need to do is to have big chunks of time during the day when all you're doing is thinking. And the biggest mistake that a lot of these folks make is just feeling as if you have to be -- "

"These guys just chalk your diary up," said Cameron, referring to a packed schedule.

"Right," Obama said. "In 15 minute increments …"

Now, we have no problem mocking the idea that Clinton was using chunks of time "thinking" rather than simply telling people he was "thinking" alone in the oval office when he was neither alone nor using the head associated with thinking -- but we are firmly in the Obama camp on the idea of having chunks of time for thinking.

We like such chunks of time. This from a comment we left at Just One Minute:

I am sure the radio on my SUV (take THAT Obama!) still works, though I only assume that. I commute 16 miles to work each way each day -- in silence.

And it is what keeps me sane.

Please indulge a quick story (because you know you want more evidence that I am not sane)...

My freshman year in college -- my roommate (we went to highschool together but were just baseball teammates there, not really friends) would often come back to our dorm room from classes -- and I would be in my bed -- completely awake, no stereo, no tv, nothing -- just silence. I wasn't doing anything. I was ... in contemplation. (you can say prayer, meditation, whatever...)

Freaked him out.

By the spring semester that roommate had transferred ... my new roommmate (another baseball teammate who knew of my propensities the semester before) decided to keep a pair of scissors under his pillow at night.

Just in case.

Silly. I just really, really like silence.

[VIMH: Me too!]
Me too, too.

[VIMH: We should hang out]
Totally!

“All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone.”
--Blaise Pascal

STOP ME IF YOU'VE HEARD THIS ONE BEFORE: Huh, apparently that was the second time telling the story of the college roommate on JOM. The question now is, will it be the last?


No comments:

Post a Comment