Thursday, September 18, 2008

in Him there is no flaw

Remember this moment from the debates in the Democratic primaries?

Obama poked fun at John Edwards and Hillary Clinton for their response to the “what is your weakness” question at the MSNBC debate. Obama said that he answered the question as an “ordinary person.”

"Folks, they don't tell you what they mean!" exclaimed Obama.

“I thought that they meant 'what’s your biggest weakness?!' So I said 'well you know I don’t handle paper that well, you know, my desk is a mess, I need somebody to help me file and stuff all the time.'”

“So the other two they say well my biggest weakness is 'I'm just too passionate about helping poor people.' I am just too impatient to bring about change in America.'”

Obama joked, “If I had gone last I would have known what the game was. I could have said 'well you know I like to help old ladies across the street. Sometimes they don’t want to be helped. It’s terrible.'”

Poor Obama got caught giving an honest answer instead of playing the game.

It seems Obama learned his lesson – don’t admit weakness! – giving this flawless answer in response to a question from Katie Couric:

Katie Couric: What one personal flaw do you think might hinder your ability to be president?

Sen. Barack Obama: I don't think ... there's a flaw that would hinder my ability ... to function as president. I think that all of us have things we need to improve.

Well, ok, the title of our post may be unfair. He didn’t claim he was without flaw. He admitted there was room for improvement.

Which further proves he’s learning to play the game.

Because no matter what he really and truly thinks, he shouldn’t admit he really believes himself completely flawless and perfect, without blemish or defect.

(h/t Jennifer Rubin)

No comments:

Post a Comment