Monday, April 14, 2008

Obama, I apologize

Geraghty points to these remarks by Obama at the Associated Press' annual meeting:

As I said yesterday, I regret some of the words I chose, partly because the way that these remarks have been interpreted have offended some people and partly because they have served as one more distraction from the critical debate that we must have in this election season.

"Some of the words"? How many words does Obama regret? Which ones?

He regrets some of the words partly because the way they were interpreted.

This is just a quick back of the napkin calculation here, but I think that equates to regretting six words. Maybe seven. It would take more in depth analysis to determine which six or seven words Obama regrets – more time than my limited attention span can endure.

And let’s face it, as small town voter who has been living a lie -- I once was blind to my racist, xenophobic bitterness, but now I see -- I couldn’t possibly be trusted to interpret his words of regret anyway.

Further, I must grant that we all owe Obama an apology as well. The interest that voters show in better understanding his views of voters is "one more distraction from the critical debate we must have in this election season".

Obama, I apologize.

1 comment:

  1. 2,161 words in total.

    722 of them changing the subject to "McCain/Bush/Reagan made me do it."

    675 of them making empty promises that we've heard over and over, with no details as to exactly how he plans to fix social security, loss of jobs to the global economy, etc.

    280 words saying in effect "ignore the millions of dollars behind the curtain; I'm just like you folks. Except, of course, not all bitter and clingy."

    0 words taking ownership of his own culpability in "the way that these remarks have been interpreted..."

    And this is the man that thinks he will convince terrorists that their life-sworn goal of destroying our society and subjecting ourselves to their oppression is wrong, simply by talking to them.

    John Edwards had a better chance of getting Christopher Reeves out of his wheelchair.

    ReplyDelete