Friday, March 14, 2008

"One of the greatest con artists we've seen"

I email a lot of people a lot of times at NRO.



But as I mentioned to Mona Charen in an email today, racking my brain, I am having a hard time coming up with another occasion in which I have written someone with as much heartfelt gratitude as I did her.

Ms. Charen said
today on the Corner:
I am coming to believe that Barack Obama is one of the greatest con artists we've seen.
Amen!
He has played the role of racial unifier with great skill and finesse.
But there is a great deal of evidence out there that he is anything but.
Hallelujah! Someone else is noticing.
One can have sympathy for his psychological predicament . But that sympathy certainly does not extend to electing him president of a country that I sincerely believe he does not love.
Thank you, Ms. Charen. Those thoughts mirror mine nearly exactly.

I have spent a
fair amount of time and energy on the idea that Obama was not the change he spoke of or that we could believe in.

But let me reproduce here a comment I left at
Tom Maguire's Just One Minute (I am not editing the comment. Apologies for some inside stuff that is not linked, or better documented -- and a warning to those for whom a little cursing might be off-putting):

Listen, I will leave it to Rick/Rich, Kyle Anne Shiver etc to go into the details of the whole Obama as Alinsky-ite thing.

I am just a poor small town BS sniffer.

And as lefty Oliver Willis quipped about Obama,
Smells Like a Movement. Oh, yeah a big movement. A toilet-stopping, get-the-plunger, why-didn't-you-courtesy-flush, where-the-hell are-the-matches movement.

Obama's "fight against cynicism" is BS (yes, a movement). I've played with the whole thing for a year now. Being cute, hit and runnish with pointing out Obama cynicism in the name of ending it.

Enough.

Obama's fight against cynicism is not just mere rhetoric. It is an attempt to create for himself and aura of infallibility.

He is above the normal cynical attempt to gain power -- or cynical attempt to retain power. ::cough::bullshit::cough::

He is all about the change/hope/unity/on our way to yeswecanville.

Do you disagree with Obama?

You are cynical.

And cynicism is a threat as great as terrorists -- and is a rival greater than any Dem/Repub or Red/Blue or Lib/Conservative divide. ::cough::bullshit::cough::

The man isn't spouting platitudes because he wants everyone all lovey dovey, Oprahfied and empowered.

He wants everyone powerless.

Michelle: "[Obama] is going to demand that you shed your cyncism".

Obama wants unity. To disagree with Obama is a lack of unity. Any lack of unity is cynicism. And cynicism is as big an enemy as terrorists.

Shed your cynicism (agree with Obama) or you are a terrorist.



This man should be kept as far away from the presidency as possible.

I like to dally in humor and I don't do outrage particularly well. Also I have no delusions of wielding any more influence than being able to reach people numbered in the dozens -- maybe hundreds if lucky -- with this blog.

But I am not going to go without having this be said...quoting Ms. Charen again, with emphasis...

I am coming to believe that Barack Obama is one of the greatest con artists we've seen.

The only difference between myself and Ms. Charen is timing. I came to that same conclusion some time ago. That she is coming to it now is an event that brings me unrelenting joy.

Would that more people see Obama for who he is.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you 100%. He is a slick, smooth talking con artist.

    I'm an African-American woman and it kills me how people assume that I should vote for him simply because he's Black. I don't like him. Call it female's intuition but I know bs when I hear it and see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, tia.

    We can also call it judging a candidate by the content of his character.

    ReplyDelete