Monday, March 17, 2008

A race of biblical proportions

The Democratic race has reached the point where we know it will be a long, drawn out affair. And we are now witnessing its headlong rush into a bitter and nasty battle. Neither Obama nor Clinton can win enough delegates in the remaining primaries to secure the nomination before the convention. The race seems to be heading inexorably into the hands of the super delegates -- a sensitive subject among Democrats who worry about disenfranchisement.

What I am trying to say is that we are experiencing a race of biblical proportions.

Which gives us a biblical inspiration for where we can go for wisdom on how the race will unfold:

(I Kings 3:16-29)
16 Now two candidates came to the king and stood before him. 17 One of them said, "My lord, this woman and I are both running for President. I have an audacious hope while she is running on experience. 18 Following my win in Iowa, this woman won New Hampshire. By the end of January, we were alone.

19 "After Super Tuesday the race seemed close; but after the Potomac Primaries her campaign was left for dead because I had all the momentum. 20 So she got up in the middle of the night and took Texas and Ohio while I your servant was asleep. 21 The next morning, I got up to give a speech on hope—and it was gone! But when I looked closely in the morning light, I saw that it wasn't that hope was gone, it was that she had left it beaten and bloodied beyond all recognition."

22 The other woman said, "No! The campaign is about experience; your hope is dead." But the first candidate insisted, "No! The hope will prevail; it’s judgment that matters." And so they argued before the king.

23 The king said, "This one says, 'My hope is alive and your campaign is dead,' while that one says, 'No! Your hope is dead and my experience is what matters.' "

24 Then the king said, "Bring me a sword." So they brought a sword for the king.

25 He then gave an order: "Cut the nomination in two and give half to one and half to the other."

26 The candidate whose campaign was filled with hope said to the king, "No, my lord, give me the whole nomination! You will not see me share the nomination!" But the woman said, "Both I and you can have it. Cut it in two!"

27 Then the king gave his ruling: "Give the nomination to the woman. Do not split it; she is the selected nominee."

28 When all the Democrats heard the verdict the king had given, they held the king in contempt, because they saw that he had no wisdom from God to administer justice.

29 And the South Platte River flowed full of blood. (a)


----------------
(a)Earliest manuscripts vary on the inclusion of verse 29

7 comments:

  1. "(a)Earliest manuscripts vary on the inclusion of verse 29"

    You're luck it was only water. I'd have been a little bent if it had been hot coffee shooting out my nose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Question the Timing!

    I'll just have to try harder next time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. In light of yesterday's soaring oration, are you reconsidering the casting?

    ReplyDelete
  4. One man's soaring oration is another man's world record carp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopefully, the soaring was Icarian in nature.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, are you an Iron Maiden fan too?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Before I ventured over to Wikistan, all I knew about the band Iron Maiden was that they've purchased their own plane, which transports their crew and equipment and is flown by the lead singer. I am not familiar with their music and I am most certainly not a fan of the synonymous device.

    ReplyDelete